2024 Lada Niva

Carbon82

Yes, your eyes isn't playing any trick, the "New" Niva is just a refresh of the original, which is 47 year old and still counting... another 18 year more and it will beat VW Beetle's record to be the most long life model. 

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_05.webp

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_04.webp

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_03.webp

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_11.webp

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_07.webp

So what's new and make me started a thread about it? 

It now come with one of the most basic and standard safety features that has been around, for well, decades now: an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). However, it still doesn't come with any airbag, not even for the driver! 

Its engine has also been updated to make it Euro 5 compliant. That’s quite an upgrade given the outgoing model was built to the Euro 2 standard introduced in 1996, but it’s still far behind most modern engines. In fact, Euro 5 regulations have been around since 2009 whereas Euro 6 was introduced in 2014. If everything goes smoothly, Euro 7 laws could be enacted by 2025.

See below for the rest of the updates for this almost half a century old SUV... :D

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_08.webp

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Haha! 5

Oh this Russian budget car brand was once sold here. Beside the Niva, I think there are also the 3 and 5 door Samara and an estate / wagon model. 

lada-niva-1977-1994-1590569969.6211615.j

soviet-front-wheel-drive-car-vaz-lada-sa

wcf-lada-classic-lada-21041.jpg

• Praise 4

During that era, from early to mid 1990s, there were another 2 budget car brand which was relatively popular due to the low selling price and/or high PARF rebate. 

The Yugo from Yugoslavia (I cannot recall the model name) which look something like this,

yugo-gv-placement-1528210669.jpg?resize=

And the other was from Czech Republic, the infamous Skoda Favorite. Used to share cost with a friend, repair bills were much higher than the monthly installment! 

skoda_favorit_i_hatchback_5d_1.jpg

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

During the 80s, a friend of mine bought a hatch back lada, there were so many problems that he sold it off eventually. To name a few, upon collection, he realised that the driver seat was obstructing the gear stick, preventing it from shifting into reverse gear, the agent had to realign the driver  seat. The signal went bad, not working. door lock spoiled. Tyre punctured but the provided tool kits were unable to access the nuts because of the wheel cover, he had to go  back to the agent, when they use the power tool to tighten the nut, one of the four or five bolts broke off, they asked him to drive slowly while waiting for a new bolt to be shipped in. The steering(no power assisted) was so heavy that he had developed chest pain🤣

My late mum used to say 送我,我也不要, i always tell her to to be appreciative, people give must take, can sell off, but for Lada, this is the only thing in life that 送我,我也不要.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 3

On the contrary to the many naysayers of Lada, we used to have a 5-door white Samara as a 2nd car in the family that ran for 14 years. Added additional cooling fan and change to sport rim which improve a lot on the main grouses of the car's weaknesses (overheating and heavy steering). No other significant issue actually since the tech is so agricultural. The reverse gear is at the passenger side (beside the 1st gear). Actually, when people get a ride in my Lada, they are often surprised it didn't ride that bad at all as what they hear. Till today, to me, it is still one of those cars that I had driven with a character. I regretted now not keeping it as a vintage plate.

Edited by Alfc
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:57 AM, Hamburger said:

Brother of Skoda

LADA is 100% Russian! 
was a piece of shit in later 1980s in SG and should still be a piece of shit now. 
maybe made out of scrapped tank metal given that so many got destroyed! 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:33 AM, Carbon82 said:

Yes, your eyes isn't playing any trick, the "New" Niva is just a refresh of the original, which is 47 year old and still counting... another 18 year more and it will beat VW Beetle's record to be the most long life model. 

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_05.webp

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_04.webp

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_03.webp

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_11.webp

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_07.webp

So what's new and make me started a thread about it? 

It now come with one of the most basic and standard safety features that has been around, for well, decades now: an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). However, it still doesn't come with any airbag, not even for the driver! 

Its engine has also been updated to make it Euro 5 compliant. That’s quite an upgrade given the outgoing model was built to the Euro 2 standard introduced in 1996, but it’s still far behind most modern engines. In fact, Euro 5 regulations have been around since 2009 whereas Euro 6 was introduced in 2014. If everything goes smoothly, Euro 7 laws could be enacted by 2025.

See below for the rest of the updates for this almost half a century old SUV... :D

2024-Lada-Niva-Legend-@_08.webp

I remember in the 1990s my friend has a Lada hatchback, climbed Takashimaya carpark up to level 6 very challenging when sit with 4 students 😂😄

• Haha! 2

It's now high demand in Russia, well, for all Lada and Chinee cars.

Bcuz of the Ukraine war, all European cars have been banned.  [:p]

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

@SGCM928 Lada was available in Singapore starting from around 1989 (SBG / SBH plate). And you are right about Skoda Favorit. My colleague had one and he also said maintenance and repair cost was much more than his installment. 

@Inlinefour you memory sibei tokong, can rememer all the details donkey years ago. I can't even recall who is this Quek you are referring to... [:p]

@Ct3833 @Alfc both my neighbor and uncle had the Samara for a while (SBJ and SBK plate), and I sat in both on a couple of occasions. A few things I can recall:

Aircon stop working suddenly, with white fume coming out from the vents and gaps on the dashboard, door cannot open from inside, cannot unlock from the outside as well, engine overheated and stop moving in the middle of PIE! 

Both sold theirs within 3 years of ownership (bought brand new) and heng didn't incur much loss due to escalating COE premium.

@Hamburger you are not the only one who mix Czech up with former USSR. That uncle of mine laughed at me when he first saw my brand new Skoda Superb and never fail to check with me if my Superb has any problem every CNY gathering for the next few years. :D

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 7

On 12/12/2023 at 5:53 PM, Lethalstrike said:

Such 4x4s are meant to be simple, rugged and no nonsense with very little sophisticated electronics/sensors. Real workhorses. 

Just like the Toyota LandCruiser 70 series still on sale in Australia...design never changed at all😝

https://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70

image.png.6f8c1745e6984f95f9a4c71b19230e25.png

This is the re-designed 70series.

It is the same as what was launched in Japan recently.

https://toyota.jp/landcruiser70/

Toyota Australia still showing the ute.

Updated with Toyota Safety Sense.  No more V8 Diesel.

It is replaced by 2.8L Diesel same as Hilux

Edited by inlinesix
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1